Sunday, May 2, 2010

More on Self-Publishing

On Saturday May 1, 2010 I attended an excellent one-day seminar in San Francisco titled "Self Publishing Bootcamp" conducted by Lisa Alpine and Carla King. My frustration from the so-far fruitless search for an agent for my novel "In Dangerous Waters" dictated I look for some alternative. Somehow the book will be published, probably on a small scale (unless lightning strikes) but that's enough. Self-publishing was a realm I hadn't explored to any extent before.

Great credit goes to the two women who conducted the workshop. I came away overwhelmed. Still trying to sort through the myriad alternative techniques, approaches, and avenues to pursue. I particularly like the tips offered - what to look for and what to avoid. Some appeared obvious, but many not so.

Their offering of particular value - yet to be explored in detail - are a wide range of resources. I plan to spend significant time filtering the maze to identify which pertain to my publishing objective and which do note. A game plan will have to evolve, but at this point, while nearly overwhelmed with the data presented, I'm beginning to research the resources provided by the class. I had no idea of the range of related information and support available. First time I can honestly say I've been overwhelmed in MANY years.

If you have the opportunity to participate in a future workshop I recommend you do so. Presenters are superior, knowledgeable, and truly helpful. The course could easily be expanded for another day, perhaps more considering the material to be offered and mastered.

No comments: