Thursday, September 16, 2010

Intro to Self Publishing - #1

Since my last posting you probably wondered if I’d forgotten all of you. Not so.

Earlier in the Spring I announced my intention to end the fruitless search for an agent for my novel “In Dangerous Waters.” The novel is complete. I think it’s a good story, and most of my critique group seem to agree.

Self-publishing (dealt with in several terms, I find) has become increasingly popular, even in the case of some big name authors. I took a short course on the topic and did some reading. If others can do that, why can’t I? I can, and will. Or more directly, as I post this, I have – begun the steps, that is. I’m not “published” yet but soon will be. I’d like to share some of that excursion with you.

Since the BLOG provides a convenient path to tell you of my experiences, I plan to post several times, usually as relevant events occur in the self-publishing process as I experience them. I welcome your questions on any related issue.

For starters, let’s look at my first active step. The class and reading proved some background, a place to pick up some of the terminology and an overall understanding of how the self-publishing process compared with the tradition path. They also convinced me I needed experienced help if I hoped for a book in hand, and eventually available in e-book format as well.

A member of the CWC Mt. Diablo Branch, through the “Back Fence”, recommended I contact Pete Masterson, himself a published author, who specializes in formatting content for authors as well as managing the entire process from raw draft to book in hand. Pete is well-regarded and past president of the Bay Area Independent Publishers Association (that may not be the exact title.) Pete and I hit if off right away with a phone call and a lengthy discussion. He appeared pleased I’d done much of my homework, would be a cooperative client, and had a good idea of what was ahead of me, but simply needed some experienced help.

So we began.

No comments: