Saturday, September 25, 2010

#3 - What do I all myself?

Pete Masterson advised I pick a publisher name, one I’d be doing business as (DBA) since my intention was to have a commercial publishing firm do the actual hands on printing and distribution work. This need was unexpected, but, I understand, relatively standard. Fortunately I’d learned of the need before my visit to the Livermore library. The Bowker volumes there offered a mind-boggling record of publishers whether or not a DBA firm. Easy enough so far, right?

Pete advised I not use the DBA name I’d used in my earlier consulting work. Also recommended I not use my actual name as part of the DBA name selected. After a few days trying to imagine something catchy, and without noticeable success, I narrowed the list of potential DBA names to about 50. The Bowker listing search cut that number to about twelve. My wife cut it down to 5. The ones we really found attractive were either already in use or had negative regional implications. A coin flip selected “Alamo Hills Press.” It’s now been approved and filed by the Contra Costa County registry as a legitimate (and taxable, I find) doing-business-as (fictitious) name.

No comments: